In a big boost for development studies, Australia Awards has recently announced scholarships for students from Bangladesh, Bhutan, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka.
Australia Awards is an initiative of the Australian government to develop leadership potential and stimulate lasting change. The idea comes from the recognition that education helps develop skills and knowledge by empowering a global network of talented individuals.
Further, it strengthens their country of birth and builds professional links. With high-quality educational experiences in Australia and overseas, these scholarships have the power to bring positive change in the world.
Administered by Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, these scholarships aim to contribute to the long-term development needs of Australia’s partner countries, in line with their bilateral and regional agreements.
They provide opportunities for people from developing countries, particularly those countries located in the Indo-Pacific region. It allows students to undertake full-time undergraduate or postgraduate study at participating Australian universities and Technical and Further Education institutions.
The study and research opportunities provided by Australia Awards Scholarships develop the skills and knowledge of individuals. It contributes to driving change and development outcomes in their own countries.
The students get the opportunity to pursue full-time undergraduate or postgraduate studies in Australian institutions. These awards demonstrate Australia’s commitment to providing education opportunities. This is also an attempt to improve living standards and stimulate economic growth in developing countries.
Never Miss Out
Subscribe to the latest published post along with industry news that you can't miss.
The awards are offered for the minimum period necessary for an individual to complete the academic program. As specified by the Australian higher education institution, it also includes any preparatory training. The following benefits apply.
Australia Scholarships Benefits
- Full tuition fees
- Return air travel – payment of a single return, economy class airfare to and from Australia, via the most direct route
- Establishment allowance – a once only payment of AUD 5000 as a contribution towards accommodation expenses, textbooks, and study materials
- Contribution to Living Expenses (CLE) – is a fortnightly contribution to basic living expenses paid at a rate determined by the department
- Introductory Academic Program (IAP) – a compulsory 4-6 week program prior to the commencement of formal academic studies covering information on life and study in Australia
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of the award (for award holders only), provided to cover the student’s basic medical costs
- Supplementary Academic Support may be available to ensure a scholar’s academic success or enhance their academic experience
Although most requirements and benefits of the scholarship are generally the same, there are some country-specific conditions. The courses on offer can vary as per the country. For more details, visit the country pages for Bangladesh, Bhutan, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka.
Reaching out to countries in this region with positive development goals is a good effort by the Australian government, bridging the gap between developing and developed nations. There have been many positive reviews about this scholarship and we hope to see more of it in the near future!